Feedback wanted on new strategy for boats on Lake Macquarie
7th December 2016
Lake Macquarie MP Greg Piper today invited the community to provide feedback on a draft strategy for boat storage on Lake Macquarie.
The Draft Lake Macquarie Boat Storage Strategy outlines a number of options for improving boat storage capacity as well as public access along the lake foreshore where tinnies are often stored.
Some of the storage options identified include:
- redefining existing mooring boundaries
- investigating new mooring areas
- trialling multiple-vessel mooring systems
- investigating options to establish public marinas
- identifying locations for dry storage racks and
- introducing pilot dinghy ID and share schemes.
“There are currently 19,800 registered vessels in the Lake Macquarie area,” Mr Piper said. “We are seeing a growth in that number and we’re expecting demand for storage facilities to increase in the future.”
“This draft strategy tries to find a balance between meeting this expected demand, the environmental impacts of boat storage facilities and the need to protect the local environment for the benefit of future generations.”
“The State Government is seeking the community’s thoughts and ideas over the coming months, and I’m encouraging people to get involved in that process.”
Feedback on the Draft Lake Macquarie Boat Storage Strategy can be delivered via an online survey at transport.nsw.gov.au/lakemacquarieboatstorage
People are also welcome to drop in to either of the community information sessions which will be hosted by Transport for NSW during the consultation period. These sessions will be held at:
- Lake Macquarie Yacht Club on Wednesday, 8 February 2017 from 5pm to 7pm, Ada Street, Belmont
- The Royal Motor Yacht Club, on Thursday, 9 February 2017 from 5pm to 7pm, 6 Arnott Avenue, Toronto.
The community can provide feedback by:
- Attending a community information session
- Emailing email@example.com
- Completing the online survey at transport.nsw.gov.au/lakemacquarieboatstorage
Or writing to:
Boat Storage Strategy
Transport for NSW
PO Box K65 NSW 2008
Feedback will be used to help finalise the boat storage strategy. The consultation period closes on Sunday, February 19, 2017.