TWELVE NEW LOCAL CASES
COVID UPDATE - 11.10am Sunday September 5
Unfortunately, another 12 new cases were reported in the Hunter Region in the 24 hours to 8pm last night, including one who visited the Belmont Vaccination Hub while unknowingly infectious. This brings the total number of cases in the local outbreak to 228. There are currently 102 active cases in the region.
Of those new cases:
1 in Armidale LGA. This is a low positive and further testing will occur.
1 is in Cessnock LGA
- Was infectious in the community, linked to a work exposure
1 in Upper Hunter LGA
- Has been isolating at home - no risk to the local community
2 in Maitland LGA
- 1 in Thornton, was infectious in the community
- 1 in Metford, was infectious in the community, linked to a workplace exposure
7 in Port Stephens LGA
- 2 in Salamander Bay, isolating at home, linked to Shoal Bay cluster
- 2 in Medowie, isolating at home, linked to Shoal Bay cluster
- 1 in Heatherbrae, was isolating, linked to Motto Farm Motel cluster
- 1 in Nelson Bay, was infectious in the community, linked to Motto Farm Motel cluster
- 1 in Shoal Bay, was infectious in the community, linked to Shoal Bay cluster
8 local people are currently being cared for in hospital, with none in ICU.
There are 395 close contacts of local cases who are in isolation.
Just to our south, the Central Coast has also recorded 7 new cases over the past 24 hours.
As I mentioned briefly late yesterday, I’ve been able to confirm that the case reported on Friday at Mandalong Colliery was a false positive. That is, follow-up tests were negative.
STATEWIDE: There was 1485 new cases reported throughout NSW in the 24 hours to 8pm last night. Sadly, three more deaths were recorded over the past 24 hours, all in the Sydney region.
HOSPITALISATIONS: There are 1030 people currently being treated for Covid-19 in NSW hospitals, with 175 in ICU and 72 requiring ventilators.
There have been 126 COVID-19 related deaths in NSW since 16 June 2021, and 182 in total since the start of the pandemic.
There have been 27,984 locally acquired cases reported since 16 June 2021, when the first case in this outbreak was reported.
EXPOSURE SITES: HNE Health has warned that a person visited the Belmont vaccination hub on Friday while unknowingly infectious between 11.45am and 12.45pm. Rapid tracing is under way. Several more exposure sites have been announced, but mainly in the Port Stephens area. There are none in the Balcolyn area despite a local case which was announced yesterday. More details are on my website here
TESTING: Testing numbers in the local area remain low and are a concern. Please get tested if you experience the mildest of symptoms, particularly if you've been near any of the exposure locations.
QUESTIONS: Please see my Facebook or Website pages for answers to frequently asked questions. Service NSW also has a 24/7 hotline where people are available to answer questions. You can reach them on 13 77 88.
STAY SAFE, stay vigilant, and stay home unless you absolutely have to go somewhere.